Site Sections

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

New Job - Zebra Imaging

Since my last post I have found a new job. I am currently working as a holographic rendering engineer at Zebra Imaging (www.zebraimaging.com). I have been enjoying my new position and have been learning quite a bit. Holographic technology is very cool and the products that we have here are cutting edge.

It does make me a little sad that I am not working in games anymore (at least for now), however it has come to my attention lately that I have become quite bitter about game development and jaded as far as video games relevance on human culture and civilization. I find this most true when I look at the booming of social gaming and online gaming. I find that the lack of story or purpose to most of these games removes a key aspect that makes games interesting to me. I do not see the reason for putting in thousands of hours of you life into something with no goal. I feel that this is already the crux of life and that I play games to escape the pointlessness of life for a while. The epic feeling I get when slaying Satan in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (a great game by the way), or defeating Bowser to save the princess, these are why I play games. I do not play games to receive an achievement for pressing the button 300,000 times to farm the same crop over and over again, merely to receive a glowing cow that simply sits on my farm.

I look at these latest trends and the amount of money that is going into the development of these social games and the associated recent closure of studios and cancellations of projects at some studios and it saddens me. (Edge of Reality being one, in regards to the termination of their Sims expansion project, most likely in lieu of the successful launch of The Sims Social and the noticeable trend of Sims players migrating to that service). Games are expensive to make, really good ones even more so. If publishers are not willing to risk the money to build something innovative and excellent, instead merely only willing to devote money to these social game experiences with no real depth or innovation (honestly there isn't any, its a formula, merely convincing players that they have an initial investment that they don't want to lose, thus encouraging them to come back), then what does this mean for games as an industry, or as a whole?

I know its not entirely the end of the games industry, there are still developers out there making great single player experiences. Some are still progressing in the aspects of innovative storytelling.  However, I honestly do not believe that industry cares about the products it creates anymore, only the money is important to them. Strong arming reviewers, releasing day one DLC, micro-transaction models with devalued products, all of these are examples of this in my opinion. The only way this will ever change is if players stop putting up with the garbage and make a stand against poor quality practices. Unfortunately the human race has failed me once again and have whole heartedly bought into these atrocities at least for the foreseeable future. Until this changes (and I still have a job at Zebra Imaging) I don't know if I want to go back into game development as my full time job. We shall see though I suppose.

Regardless, this post as become more of a rant on games than the announcement of my new job. So I will leave it here with the thought that whatever happens, I'll still be a gamer, I will just be more careful with how I spend my gaming dollars, giving my money to companies that I feel still have a solid grasp on what gaming is and what it should become.
 

4 comments:

Lee said...

Being in the game industry has its up and downs, and sadly long hours and cancelled games are all part of it. People do it because they enjoy the process even though the outcome may not see the light of day.

You just gotta keep making games on the side, keep the passion alive :D

I never gave up! and I never surrendered!

Unknown said...

I think its more of wanting to work on games that I would want to play, as oppose to the current trends of many of the open positions in the industry that revolve around the social gaming experience which I personally feel is hollow. I think its important to feel like what you are making is going to be something you want your friends and family to play. If I were to work on some of these facebook/mobile/mmo games, I don't believe that I would be able to do that.

Garrett Hoofman said...

So what kind of games would you want to work on/create? Story based Single Player games for PC/Consoles?

Unknown said...

I think there are lots of genres that would be enjoyable to work in. Its just the large number of open positions that are for social gaming that concerns me, and its something I'm not interested in working on. If I wouldn't want to play the game, then why would I want to work on it for 6 months to 3 years?

However, yes, engaging single player story based games would be fun to work on. Less in the RPG vain but more in the Assassins creed or Uncharted style. These I feel are the most engaging form of story presentation when done effectively, without artificial time extensions with repetitive side questing.