Site Sections

Friday, June 12, 2009

Game Review - Lost Planet, Extreme Conditions : PS3 : Capcom

So I realize that this game is old, it has been around for a while. I am doing a review of it because I just recently picked it up used and played it for the first time.

Good:
The game play was enjoyable, a little choppy at times, but all around solid. The T-ENG meter that continually ticks down was a nice change of pace for the third person shooter genre, I felt like it kept me moving towards my goal, and much better than a standard timer.

Mechs are always fun to drive, these were no exception. There was especially one type of Mech (or VS as they are called in game) that was much faster and more agile than the others.

Bad:
Voice acting... It was terrible. Also the story was not that great, it felt like extra characters were added at an as needed basis, and it just felt like it was quickly put together without much thought.

Graphics... It was said in previous reviews by the major magazines that this game showed "Impressive" graphics for the new systems. Granted I played this one on the PS3, which was said to have lower graphics on this title than the XBox360 (not sure why, maybe it was just the mipmapping that was messed up cross system). Anyways, I felt like the environments were too simple as far as texturing was concerned, and highly repetitive.

Final Boss Mech control... The last mech you pilot, it is suppose to be super advanced. However the controls felt clunky and the camera view kept rotating when I didn't expect it. I thought this could have been better executed

Overall Reception:
I thought the game was decent for the 7 bucks I payed for it. I don't think I would have liked to pay 50-60 dollars for it when it was first released, but perhaps that is my perception after playing Resident Evil 5, which shares similar game mechanics. Overall I give this game a 75 out of 100.

No comments: