Site Sections

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Back To School

Oh the joys of summer... Nice weather, pretty flowers, clean air, and the first Grad class towards my MBA...

Ok, everything in that list is good, except the last one. I am excited to be pursuing my MBA as I would really love to run my own software development company some day (preferably in game development - obviously), but in truth I am not really looking forward to going to class 4 days a week on top of working 40 hours a week. Not to mention it is a class on accounting.

Obviously there is nothing wrong with accounting (or business classes in general) in fact, I think that it will give me an opportunity to work in a more interesting field, as I should be able to do Software Architecture for large scale projects. For this type of work you need to be able to manage a team of engineers in performing smaller parts of the big picture. No one creates large scale applications on their own these days, its all done using team management. Software needs to be designed with this in mind, it is the basis of OOP (Object Oriented Programming). Also, with the dream of owning and running your own software development firm, it might be a good idea to know how to do some accounting.

However, this does not leave me much time for socializing, traveling (which I have been trying to plan this summer without much luck), video game playing (which I have a few on my list that I would like to play), or most importantly, work on my level editor, let alone the other projects that I have started. Also it is important to get a good nights rest (if I get the opportunity).

Bottom line... to succeed in life, you can never sleep.

No comments: